Sunday, August 22, 2010

Through us...


So even though the story I share below happened two years ago, I still feel inspired to post it. I just listened to a pastor online talk about how God is seeking to heal and comfort people and that He does it through us. I want God to keep loving people through me....

Sept 25, 2008

So I walk into church service with Jason at 7pm. We find seats in front of this girl sitting by herself, wearing a cozy sweater, and inside my head I hear God say, “Notice her.”

So I did and I thought, “Hmm, wonder what this is about?”

Then after announcements the pastor had us turn to someone next to us and say hello. I specifically turned around and said hello to just her. We both looked at each other with a specificness only God could conjure. I knew something was up.

During the sermon I asked God, “Okay, what about her Lord? What do you want me to do?”

And He was like, “I want you to talk to her.”

“Okkkkaaay how? I don’t even know her. The pastor is speaking right now, than after that is worship, then we will both get up and leave. How will I have time to squeeze in something before she looks at me weird and takes off?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.”

“Okay, I’ll trust You and be obedient,” but even still the thought came to my mind, “Hmm, maybe I should just pretend I know her from somewhere, just to get the ball rolling.”

But God is way cooler than that because right after the service was over, as I was bending down to pick up my purse off the floor, He nudged me to look at her face on my way up. As I did she was standing there staring straight at me with tears in her eyes and without hesitation said, “Would you pray for me?”

I quickly said "Yes," and told her to come to the back wall with me by the crosses. I asked her if kneeling down was okay and what I could pray for?

She looked at me crying and said, “I’m lost. I don’t know.... I’m just lost.”

So I quickly quieted myself and asked God to help me pray for her. As I prayed she sat sobbing in my arms. So open and needy for God-for His love.

After we finished praying she said that she had just left her church and that she doesn’t usually go to Rock Harbor church services. She was really upset about church stuff. Then I told her what God had said to me in my seat while I was worshiping.

Then she said, “Wow, God told me, 'Ask the girl sitting in front of you to pray for you.' And I told Him, 'Well, aren’t there people in the back with prayer tags on who can pray for me?'  He said, 'No, ask the girl in front of you.'  'But she’s worshiping and I don’t want to bug her.' Again He told me, 'Ask her.'”

We both sat there in the back of the church amazed by God and how He had spoken to both of us.

Then we both stood up slowly, said some awkward goodbyes, and shuffled out of the church service with everybody else.

I never saw that girl again.

But that night God blew me away with His ability to use two strangers to comfort one and increase the faith of both.



2 comments:

Randomness said...

What an incredible story! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting & sweet. Thanks for sharing :) - JF